Arabic Fish Majboos Recipe (Kabsa)
The authentic way of making Arabic Fish Majboos. We used Zubaidi Fish to make this dish. You can use Hammour (Grouper), white or black pomfret fish (Avoli in Malayalam), Safi or sheri fish to make this delicious Arabic Rice dish.
- Fish - 1 Kg (Zubaidi, Hummour, Pomfret or Sheri)
- For Marination
- Chili powder - 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
- pepper powder - 1 teaspoon
- Paprika powder - 1 teaspoon
- cumin powder - 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- cinnamon powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- salt - as required
- sunflower oil - 5 table spoon
- Lemon juice - 1/2 piece
- For making Rice
- Basmati rice - 2 cup
- Onion - 1 (finely chopped)
- Tomato - 1 (finely chopped)
- Coriander leaves - 1 cup (chopped)
- Garlic cloves - 4 nos
- Green chili - 2 nos
- Ginger - 2 pieces
- Sunflower oil - 3 table spoon
- Ghee - 2 table spoon
- Dried Lemon - 1 nos
- Cinnamon stick (Patta /karugapaata) - 2 small piece
- Cloves - 2 pieces
- Tomato paste - 1 table spoon
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Majboos Masala - 1 table spoon
- Fish masala - 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala - 1/4 teaspoon
- Boiled water - 4 cup
- Salt - as required
- Add all the items listed under 'For marinating' into a bowl (exclude lemon) and mix well. add lemon juice into this and make a smooth paste.
- Marinate the fish and keep it for 30 minutes.
- Soak rice for 30 minutes.
- Chop onion, tomato and coriander leaves and keep it aside.
- Crush Ginger, garlic and green chili using a food processor.
- Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the fish for maximum 10 minutes (both side). keep it aside.
- Add 3 table spoon of sunflower oil and two table spoon of ghee into a bottom thick pot.
- Add chopped onion and saute. Add ginger, garlic and green chili paste into this and saute well until the onion turns to brown.
- Add dry lemon, cinnamon stick and cloves and saute again.
- Add chopped tomato and mix well, add one table spoon tomato paste and saute well
- Add half of the coriander leaves and mix well
- Add turmeric powder, majboos masala, fish masala and garam masala into this and saute again.
- Add fried fish into this and cook both side for 2 minutes each.
- Add 4 cup of boiled water and cook the fish again for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the fish and keep it aside
- Add salt and stir well.
- Add rice and close the lid and cook it for about 20 minutes in low flame, stir often
- Put back the fish on top of the rice.
- Add remaining chopped coriander leaves and cover it with an aluminium foil and keep it for 5 minutes in low flame
- Switch of the flame and keep the cover remain closed for another 5 minutes.