- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Delicious south Indian sambar recipe - a lentil-based vegetable stew
- Toor Dal (Tuvara parippu) - 1 cup
- Potato - 1 medium
- Onion - 1 small
- Coconut oil - 50 ml
- Ladies finger - 100 gm
- Drumstick - 50 gm
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tea spoon
- Chili powder - 1/2 tea spoon
- Coriander powder - 1 tea spoon
- Tamarind (Puli) - small lemon size
- salt - as required
- water - as required
- Asafoetida (Kayam) - 1/4 tea spoon
- Fenugreek (uluva) roasted powder - 1/4 tea spoon
- mustard seed - 1 tea spoon
- Dry red chillies - 5
- Coriander leaves - few
- curry leaves - 2
- Tomato - 2
Boil half litter of water in a thick bottomed vessel and put the dal.
add potato and onion pieces into it when the dal gets half coooked.
Add coconut oil into an another vessel put ladies finger and drumsticks and saute well. add chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder into it and stir well. Add this into the cooked dal.
Add Tamarind juice, salt, water and kayam into this and boil well.
Add fenugreek powder when the sambhar gets enough thickness. Splutter mustard, dry red chilies and curry leaves in oil and garnish the sambar. Add coriander leaves and the remaining coconut oil on top.